The Simplest Strawberry Pie
I love strawberries. I love anything with, including, describing, or smelling like strawberries. But I hate strawberry candy. Why is that? Strawberry flavored Jolly Ranchers, lollipops, any kind of hard candy or gooey filled candy won’t do. Maybe I have a picky palate? Well, whatever the case may be I know this strawberry pie is right up my alley. I had made a peach pie some time ago and was in the mood for another fruit pie. Since strawberries are dirt cheap around here ($1.oo a lb), I figured I’d just use them for my master creation. The result, a happy tummy. *S/N: I just love how this one piece of strawberry is flirting with the camera.*
2 cups fresh strawberries
3 tbsp cornstarch
1 cup white sugar
- Preheat oven to 350ºF/175ºC.
- Follow directions for the pastry dough and let it sit in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- While the dough is in the fridge, remove the stems off the strawberries and cut them into smaller pieces.
- In a medium sauce pan place the strawberries and cook over medium-high heat.
- Mix the sugar and cornstarch in a separate small bowl and add to the saucepan.
- Mix occassionally until the strawberries form into a thick sauce/jelly mixture. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Remove pie crust from the fridge and roll out to 9″ length and place in a pie pan.
- Blind bake the pie crust in the oven for about 15-20 minutes or until done.
- Remove from oven and pour the strawberry mixture into the pie pan. Refrigerate for about 2 hours or until the pie has set.
- Slice and serve.
*Note: There’s no need to add water due to the fact that the strawberries, once cooked with sugar, let our their own juices. If you’re using frozen strawberries it works just as well with the same effect.*